Fun Facts about Vietnam
- Hanoi is the capital city, while the currency is Dong
- Vietnam has a population of over 85 million
- We have one of the lowest unemployment rates among all developing countries.
- Vietnam has a literacy rate of 94%.
- Potbelly pigs are kept as pets in Vietnam.
- The Vietnamese language has six different tones. A change in tone changes the meaning of the word.
- Vietnamese was written in Chinese characters until the 13th century, when Vietnam developed its own set of characters, chu nom.
- Traditional gongs are used to call the Vietnamese children to school.
- An estimated 10 million motorcycles drive on the roads of Vietnam every day.
- Vietnamese is the only language in East Asia that uses the Latin alphabet.
- Vietnam is the largest exporter of cashews in the world. Also, the second largest exporter of rice.
- Nguyen is the most common surname in Vietnam
- The highest point is Fan Si Pan, at 3,144 meters (10,315 feet) elevation.
- Our traditional dress is called Ao-dai